your passport to all things web
Spring 2018 SEO Update
As a part of our SEO tutorial series, we’ve compiled some important and interesting news in the world of website optimization. If you are curious how any of these items affect you and your rankings, please feel free to contact CourseVector today.
Google in the News
- If you noticed a change in rankings or visits in the month of March, it could be due to Google’s algorithm updates throughout in the month.
- Starting this spring, Google started indexing mobile first. If your site is responsive, and you’ve done a good job with the optimization, you should not have seen traffic drop significantly.
- March brought a lot of experimentation in Google search results. For a time, Google showed zero search results for time, calculations, and conversions. Instead they showed one result – the answer to the query. But after just one week of experimentation, they stopped the experiment.
- Google paid a bounty to an individual who found a vulnerability in Search Console. Google claims that the vulnerability no longer works.
- Have you heard of Google Posts? The feature has been in play for a few months now, and it might help to increase conversions in branded search. If you have an event, product, or service to showcase, consider using Google Posts to add a button to branded search results. You must have a Google My Business account to post.
Other Search News
- In March, search engine Bing began removing sidebar text ads on desktop search.
- Search and Direct mobile surpassed Facebook as top referrers in May.
Important Compliance Information
- Beginning May 25, 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) went into effect. The European Commission has created this regulation to strengthen the protection of European citizens’ personal information by implementing new rules and providing European citizens specific rights. Learn how GDPR affects you.
- Now is the perfect time to conduct an audit of your website, just to make sure that everything is up-to-date and working as well as it can.
- Need some SEO education? Search Engine Land’s periodic table of SEO Success Factors is a crash-course in what is important in SEO!
- CourseVector offers SEO consulting services, perfect for the DIY business. We realize that it may not be feasible for business owners to hire a team of marketing professionals in-house and full-service SEO can be very expensive. With this customizable SEO consulting option, businesses of all sizes will find online marketing solutions to fit their budgets.